Welcome to Stained Quills: A Guide

Here is where we will not only keep the rules, but any announcement applicable to site changes, staff changes, etc. It is the responsibility of the individual user to keep up with these rules and changes.
Admin
Site Admin

Welcome to Stained Quills: A Guide

INTRODUCTION

xxxxWelcome!

We would like to wish you a warm welcome to Stained Quills! This thread serves the purpose of a guide, detailing how to use the site and its different features. If you still have questions after you read this, please reach out to a staff member and we will clarify as best as we can. In addition to this thread, please make sure that you read the Rules to ensure that you are ready to start posting on this website and start roleplays of your own!
Admin
Site Admin

Table of Contents

• TABLE OF CONTENTS
    xxxxIntroduction Post
    Here, you will find a simple greeting and a warm welcome to this thread and its purpose.
    xxxxTable of Contents
    You are here. This is a simple list of everything you will find in this thread, with explanations when necessary.
    xxxxSetting Up Your Account
    A simple tutorial of how to set up your account, such as adding a profile picture, adding a signature, and changing your username can be found here.
    xxxxNavigating the Site
    A list of every board and subforum on the site, with general explanations of how to use them and where to put different styles of posts.
    xxxxGuide to Finding Roleplays
    The two ways you may post your searches for roleplays, whether one-on-one or group, are listed here, as well as how to utilize them correctly.
    xxxxHow to use the Bump & Report Features
    An easy how-to tutorial of using the bump and report features on the site, with an explanation of what happens to users who break the rules and are reported numerous times.
    xxxxUnderstanding the Staff Team
    A write up of our current staff ranks as well as our current team.
    xxxxSocial Media
    This post serves as an explanation of what social media we currently use, as well as its purpose for the site.
Admin
Site Admin

Setting Up Your Account

• SETTING UP YOUR ACCOUNT
    SETTING UP A PROFILE
    By going to your User Control Panel (UCP), and then clicking on the "Profile" tab, you may do things such as enter your birthdate, location, and any social media links you wish. Please know that all of this is your choice. None of this information needs to be public unless you want it to be. Yes, the Admins have access to your birthdate, but that is only for registration since this site is 18+. No other members have access to your birthdate unless you choose to make it public.
    SETTING UP A PROFILE PICTURE
    By going to the same UCP and "Profile" tab, you may change your profile picture by selecting the "Edit Avatar" option. Please keep in mind that you may upload images from your own computer or via URL, like from a site such as Tumblr or Imgur. SQ has a maximum profile picture widthxheight of 150 pixels by 150 pixels (150x150), so large images/gifs will have to be resized to fit those dimensions, and may be done with your favorite image editing software such as Photoshop or Ezgif.com.
    SETTING UP A SIGNATURE
    In the same UCP options above, selecting the "Edit Signature" option will allow you to input BBCode of your choice to make your signature, which can include images, text, etc. The same site rules that apply to roleplay images also apply here. If your signature is deemed inappropriate, you will be messaged by a staff member and it will be removed accordingly. It should be noted that the preview box for signatures is smaller than how your signature will actually appear on posts and your profile.
    CHANGING YOUR ACCOUNT SETTINGS
    If you wish, you may change your username, email address, and the password associated with your account. In order to do this, you will, once again, access your UCP, and "Profile" tab. Selecting the "Edit Account Settings" option will allow you to do all of this, as long as you confirm your current password.
Admin
Site Admin

Navigating the Site

• NAVIGATING THE SITE
    GENERAL BOARD
    xxxxRules & Announcements ; Here, you may read the official rules of the site, and, even this guide! The Admin team will post any important announcements and keep the userbase informed as to what is going on with the site here.
    xxxxDiscussions ; This board is where the staff team seeks out userbase feedback. Whether it is on announcements, events, or even suggestions as to something you may like to see implemented into the site, it is encouraged to give feedback and share any and all ideas that you may have in regards to the site!
    xxxxSocializing ; The userbase is encouraged to mingle, chat, and make friends here. Feel free to chat and play forum games.
    OTHER BOARD
    xxxxPersonal Storage ; If a user wishes to store things such as characters, code, or anything that inspires them, this is where they may do so. If any characters contain triggering topics or intense backstories, it must still be tagged accordingly.
    xxxxRoleplay Discussions ; If an established roleplay, whether it is a group roleplay or a one-on-one, requires planning, it may be done so in this subforum. If the discussion includes mature themes, it must still be tagged accordingly.
    xxxxShare Your Writing ; Though a user is not required to, if they wish to post their personal writing here that they have written, whether it is inspired by characters or roleplays on the site or not, they can do so here. Once again, such writing has to be tagged properly and follow all of the site's official rules.
    xxxxRoleplay Advertisements ; Here, users can post their listings for roleplay ideas and seek out new roleplay partners. An explanation on how to utilize this forum is found further down in this thread.
    ROLEPLAYING BOARD
    xxxxGroup Roleplays ; Any roleplay with three (3) or more persons is to be posted here, regardless of its subject matter or genre, if the original creator of the roleplay is accepting of any and all users that wish to join it.
    xxxxPrivate Group Roleplays ; Any roleplay with three (3) or more persons is to be posted here, regardless of its subject matter or genre, if the original creator of the roleplay is inviting users to join and is not automatically accepting any user into the roleplay.
    xxxxOne-On-One Roleplays ; Any roleplay between two (2) people, regardless of subject matter or genre, will be in here.
Admin
Site Admin

Guide to Finding Roleplays

• GUIDE TO FINDING ROLEPLAYS
    USING THE 1X1 LISTING THREAD
    Using the The Official Roleplay Search Thread, users may post once every three (3) pages to search for new one-on-one or group roleplays. They may do so in a single post outlining what they are looking for in a partner and what they are looking to roleplay. It is encouraged to edit your post after you find what you are looking for. For a further explanation of what may be posted on that thread, please read the rules found on the second post.
    POSTING A PERMANENT LISTING TOPIC
    In addition to using The Official Roleplay Search Thread, users are allowed to create one (1) topic in the Roleplay Advertisements subforum. There, a user may create a long-term, permanent search thread that they may bump and update with whatever they are wishing to roleplay at the time, examples of their style, certain characters or plots they wish to use, etc. It is encouraged to specify whether or not you are actively looking for roleplays in the title of your thread, as to prevent users from reaching out if you are not actively seeking roleplays. The tagging system and general site rules still apply to posts in this subforum.
Admin
Site Admin

How to use the Bump & Report Feature

• HOW TO USE THE BUMP & REPORT FEATURES
    BUMPING A POST/THREAD
    The 'Bump' feature is a feature that appears five (5)+ days after the last post is made in any given thread. This feature allows you to essentially bring the post back to the top of the forum without having to make another post, and can be found at the bottom of the thread, in the picture below. It should be noted, though, that you may only use this feature once. If you are the owner of the thread, you may bump it regardless of who the last poster is; if the thread is not yours, you may only bump it if you are the last poster.
    REPORTING A POST/USER
    If, for some reason, you notice a post that is not following the rules, be it spam, improper tagging, harassment, etc, you are encouraged to report it immediately. This can be done by clicking the '!' button in the top right corner of the post. You will then see the option to select a report reason, whether or not you want to be notified when your report is dealt with by staff, and a comment box if you need to supply the staff team with any further information. Please note: you should use the report box -- do not attempt to mini-mod or amend the situation yourself. Notify a staff member with the report button. If you feel that they are not dealing with the report in a timely manner, please PM one of the Admins.
    REPORTING A USER
    Reporting a user essentially works the same way that reporting a post does, however, there is no report button. If another user is harassing or bullying you on the website, please PM an Admin with proof, reporting any applicable post that you may need to. Unfortunately, if you are being harassed by a user off site (e. g. on Discord, etc.), there is not much that can be done, other than blocking the user yourself.
    WHY A USER MAY BE BANNED
    Although there are several reasons a user may be banned, here are just a few:
    xxxx• They are a spam account. This is self explanatory. If you are to see a spam account promoting malicious websites or suspicious links, please report it immediately, as the staff team will delete their posts and ban them immediately. Malicious spam is not and will not ever be tolerated on this website.
    xxxx• The user is suspected to be underaged. If there is reason to believe that a user on Stained Quills is underaged, with reasonable proof, etc, they will be permanently banned, for we have no tolerance of underaged users infiltrating an 18+ site. Their account, including posts, etc, will be deactivated and permanently deleted. As a reminder, we cannot ask you to verify your age, so a member of the staff will never do so, but will still ban a user if there is considerable proof they are underage.
    xxxx• The user has broken site rules. This is more of a grey area, depending on the rules broken. A user MAY be able to appeal their ban via email if they are given the opportunity in their ban. If a user feels they are wrongfully banned, they are encouraged to reach out to the staff team with an appeal. However, depending on the rules broken, it will be made very clear if the user is receiving a temporary ban/suspension or a permanent ban.
Admin
Site Admin

Understanding the Staff Team

• UNDERSTANDING THE STAFF TEAM
    Currently, Stained Quills has three (3) staff accounts with two active staff members. We are not looking for new applications, although that is subject to change. When we decide to hire more staff, we will do so via a separate thread and announce it globally. We currently have one (1) staff rank that we will describe below.
    ADMINISTRATORS
    As mentioned prior, Admin/Administrators are currently the only staff rank on this site. They are responsible for dealing with everything, including reports, bans, ensuring roleplay literacy, and doing their best to keep the site's userbase happy. Until they decide that the workload becomes a lot to handle, they will be the ones responsible for everything on the site.
    xxxxAdmin ; (n/a) ; This is an inactive account used to post things such as site announcements and anything else that may require a user's attention. If you are experiencing an issue that needs immediate assistance, please refrain from messaging this account, as it is rarely logged into. Instead, please reach out to teddy or Kami directly.
    xxxxteddy ; (they/he) ; Hello! I'm teddy, one of the founders of the site. I know that sounds super scary, but I promise I'm far from. Outside of working full-time and currently double-majoring in college, I really have no life outside of Stained Quills. I'm lurking on here 24/7, so... Beware... No, I'm just kidding. I do have an unhealthy obsession with browsing through other people's roleplays, though, so please don't be afraid if you ever get a pm from me expressing my admiration for your characters. I've been writing and roleplaying for almost ten years now, so I'm always down to chat and possibly start new roleplays! Or, like, talk about how much I love certain characters... to the point where it's annoying... (*cough* Bucky Barnes Deserves Better *cough*)
    xxxxKami ; (she/her) ; Hello! My name's Kami and I'm the other founder of the site! Apart from being your local Wine Aunt, I'm a practising lawyer, currently working full-time in a regional court. Quite like my partner in crime, I've little to no life and spend a lot of time on here, so never hesitate to drop a message! I am a rather shy/introverted person and it takes time for me to get out of my shell, but once that happens, I'm a fairly hyperactive idiot who adores talking about weird things! You might find me creating a ton of new projects (and never returning to them, hah!) and overall being a complete idiot, so don't be a stranger!
Admin
Site Admin

Social Media

• SOCIAL MEDIA
    Although pretty much everything pertaining to Stained Quills is contained in this very site, the staff team has decided to broaden our horizon with the use of social media. This list has the potential to be ever-growing, for we'll join a new social media as we see fit.
    TUMBLR
    Currently, this is the only official Stained Quills social media account. Though it is not a requirement for users to join Tumblr or follow our account in order to use the site, they may do so if they wish for overall updates, etc., when it comes to the site. If for some reason SQ is down or seemingly 'broken,' we may explain the situation on Tumblr and give you updates as to when the site may return, etc. However, Tumblr's main purpose is advertising the site.