Temporary Forum Registration Closure

Here is where we will not only keep the rules, but any announcement applicable to site changes, staff changes, etc. It is the responsibility of the individual user to keep up with these rules and changes.
Admin
Site Admin

Temporary Forum Registration Closure

FORUM REGISTRATION CLOSURE
    NOTICE:
    Hello everyone! You may have noticed that, while logging into your account, the option of registering for a new account has disappeared. The Admin Team (teddy and Kami) have decided that, for the time being, we are removing the option for new accounts to register. Do not fret, though, if you have an account already, you will still be able to log in and see all of your posts and favorite roleplays and have full access to anything on the site. We cannot stress enough that this will not be permanent, only temporary. We will update you all when the option to register is available and open to the public again.

With that being said, if you have a friend that you would like to invite to the server, please pm teddy or Kami and let us know, as we can either create an account for them, or give them the permission to do so themselves.

If you have any questions, concerns, or comments, please feel free to post on this thread or pm an admin. As a reminder, please refrain from messaging the official Admin account.

Thank you for your time, patience, and understanding.

- teddy & Kami
    Admin Team
RottenCleric

Re: Temporary Forum Registration Closure

I absolutely respect the decision, I'd like to know the reason(s), though, if it is okay to ask. Are there problems with spam accounts, or is this supposed to be a more 'private' page?
RottenCleric ~ software developer to be ~ RottenCleric#8566
search ~ storage
teddy
Site Admin

RottenCleric wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:37 pm I absolutely respect the decision, I'd like to know the reason(s), though, if it is okay to ask. Are there problems with spam accounts, or is this supposed to be a more 'private' page?
Yes, it's perfectly fine to ask! I would love if, one day, Stained Quills grew to be super popular! Thankfully, we have not encountered any spam accounts yet, and I hope it remains that way.

However, the issue we are encountering is with the extension we are using to ensure that the site stays 18+. The way the extension works, as you have seen when you registered your account, it will ask you for your birthdate to verify your age. Many users are leaving this section blank, which, in turn, is flagging their accounts as possibly underaged, which is something you do not see, but we do.

I would like to quickly remind everyone that, yes, we have access to your birthdates upon registry -- but no one on the website, excluding the staff team, has this information, unless you choose to share it. Please familiarize yourselves with the Legal Matters section of the rules if you have any questions.

Anyhow, the log we keep in order to protect this site is flagging accounts as underage, despite the user putting in a correct birthday that puts them well over 18 AFTER they have already skipped this section (as it will remind you that you cannot register for this site without a birthday), since they either did not fill out the birthdate section of the registration or only put their birth month and day, if that makes sense. When they do not fill out their birthdate initially, it will show up in our log as 00-00-00, which is obviously impossible, but the extension immediately flags that as if it wants to ban the accounts, which we do not want!

The extension works well, however, we're looking to fix this aspect of it so that, when we check the log to ensure that the extension is working as it is supposed to, we see far less red flags (literally) than we do now, since none of the accounts we currently have on site are actually underaged.

I hope I explained that well enough; I'm running on a couple hours of sleep so if I need to explain anything else, please feel free to reach out ASAP.
Sunshine and Whiskey

Even the description on TopRPSites or whenever you register says that you have to be 18+. If you know that you are not, it is advised that you do not make an account. You will literally spoil it for everyone else, who sees this site and is like 'seems cool, I want to join' but for now, they cannot.

Sorry to post this here but just thought that I'll add in my two cents. ^^
teddy
Site Admin

Sunshine and Whiskey wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:28 am Even the description on TopRPSites or whenever you register says that you have to be 18+. If you know that you are not, it is advised that you do not make an account. You will literally spoil it for everyone else, who sees this site and is like 'seems cool, I want to join' but for now, they cannot.

Sorry to post this here but just thought that I'll add in my two cents. ^^
    • I agree with you! But, unfortunately, not everyone does; people are, sadly, inclined to lie about their age with the mentality of "what they don't know won't hurt them." I have seen that on dozens of other 18+ sites, and so I definitelty want to prevent it as much as I can on SQ. Right now, we just need to rework the extension to ensure that it's actually doing what it's supposed to, instead of the issues we're experiencing now. I cannot imagine that it will take long, but, we will keep everyone updated as best we can.

Don't worry, though, you're encouraged to share your thoughts! Your input is as important as mine when it comes to the site. We will thrive off of user feedback.
Admin
Site Admin

Update: Forum Registration Now Open

• UPDATE: FORUM REGISTRATION OPEN.
    NOTICE:
    Hello again! We, the Admin Team, appreciate your patience with the forum registration closure. We're happy to announce that Stained Quills is open to the public again. After working through the kinks with our extension, we both feel pretty confident in it working well enough to function and keep the site 18+. We would really like to thank you all for your patience and feedback we received on this thread. Transparency and keeping all of you in the loop is something really important to us; as always, if you have any questions, concerns, or anything else that needs to be said, please feel free.

Thank you.

- teddy & Kami
    Admin Team
Sunshine and Whiskey

You guys are doing a tremendous job by keeping your members in the loop than any other site has done. It didn't take long at all for this to be applied and you guys are awesome! ^^